Powered by Blogger.

Life-Size Barbie Being Used for Anorexia Awareness

    A life size Barbie doll is being used to help build awareness to anorexia and other eating disorders. An Oregon woman told NBC's "Today" show the 6-foot-tall model she created of a Barbie doll was designed to raise awareness of eating disorders when she was in high school.

    Galia Slayen, who brought her creation to the "Today" studio in New York Monday, said she first created the giant Barbie-like figure -- with a 39-inch bust, 18-inch waist and 33-inch hips -- from wood, chicken wire and papier-mache for the first National Eating Disorders Awareness week in 2007 while she was a high school student in Portland.

    "I was at a friend's house and her mom's an artist so there were all these art supplies around," Slayen said. "She helped with the actual proportions."

    She said she suffered from anorexia when she was a cheerleader in high school.

    "I'm not blaming Barbie [for my illness] -- she's one small factor, an environmental factor," Slayen said. "I'm blond and blue-eyed and I figured that was what I was supposed to look like. She was my idol. It impacted the way I looked at myself."

    A representative for Mattel said in an e-mail the doll "was never modeled on the proportions of a real person."

    "As a pop-cultural icon, Barbie is often used as art to express one's own personal opinions and views," the toy company representative wrote. "Girls see female body images everywhere today and it's critical that parents and caregivers provide perspective on what they are seeing."

Post Title

Life-Size Barbie Being Used for Anorexia Awareness


Post URL

http://viewbestworld.blogspot.com/2011/04/life-size-barbie-being-used-for.html


Visit View Best in The word for Daily Updated Animal Funny Pictures Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List

Blog Archive